Grandmom

Here I am in Jersey again. My grandmom is in the hospital. She's been in there for 19 days! It all started with a simple doctors visit. She had been complaining about having some trouble breathing. So her doctor told my mom to take her immediately to the hospital to get that checked out. 

My mom was in the ER with her for about eighteen hours with no sleep really. They had found out that she had fluid in her lungs, not so great. Then after blood work and all that shenanigans that they put you through to admit you, they finally did admit her. This was on I think a thursday or friday. 

Saturday: After some more testing they found that she has congestive heart failure again, almost exactly a year later to the date. 

Sunday: More tests and she got some rest.

Monday: Mild heart attack. Which no one informed my mom of until wednesday of that week.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: They put her on meds for her lungs so she could breathe better and to get the fluid out of her heart and lungs.

Friday: I showed up at six in the morning, after driving for six almost seven hours. Quite a lonely trip to take. She was scheduled for a catheterization that morning. It was so wonderful that they finally came to get her hmmm.... around two-thirty. None of us were very happy and she couldn't eat anything. So we went down to the cafe and got something to eat and smoke. Which the smoking at the hospital is funny because you can't smoke anywhere on the property(like you used to). You either have to go to car which is a million miles away or walk to the street and smoke on the sidewalk/curb area. I felt like a crack-head. Nevertheless she still wasn't back yet. My sister and I went home and mom stayed. She eventually got back to her room. Not so good news follows. She needs open-heart surgery to replace her aortic valve and four of her major supply lines in the heart are blocked. Lovely.

I must say that my grandmom isn't really a hospital person. She is being a real trooper going through all of this. More developments came up in order to prolong her surgery. In addition they screened her for cancer. Oh guess what she has it, colon cancer. Which is frightening because that is what her father died of right in this very house. All so comforting.  So that night for her was hell having to take medicine to prep her for the screening of that. She is also loosing control of her bodily functions if you know what i mean. Due to that they had to put a foley catheter in so she can go without going everywhere. Then they noticed that she had blood in her urine. Like a lot. So her kidneys are messed up in some way and she is having kidney stones. 

That is pretty much what going on with her. It's really a lot to handle right especially being back in New Jersey. Its also hard on me because everyone is concerned about me with school and everything, but I'm doing everything I can right now in this situation. I feel as if people are putting the stress on me of letting them down. Not really caring about me in this whole thing. I know certain people have expressed to me that they do. I and can tell the people who really are concerned. Some not so much but nonetheless, she is on the schedule for surgery on monday sometime in the after-noon. I am hoping and praying that everything goes well =/  

 

0 Responses to Grandmom